Today

I love spring. It is so nice to smell the fresh air scented with newly cut grass and hear the birds sing for all they are worth.

This weekend was pretty laid back with not much going on. The highlight was Saturday evening when Tim took me up to Coeur d'Alene to Red Lobster for an early birthday dinner. We drove through my old campus and stomping grounds which was fun to see. It really hasn't changed all that much: A new building here, some new landscaping there...but over-all it was pretty much the same. Sunday we were planning on trying out the baptist church in Airway Heights, but Tim woke up with a killer headache and backache. As the day progressed he got more comfortable and by this morning he seemed to be fine...no idea what caused it. Ah well, we'll try out the church next week. :)

I have decided I am no longer going to force-feed myself. I am sick and tired of forcing eggs and cheese and tuna and chicken breasts down my throat when I'm not hungry just to get 80 grams of protein a day. It's just not going to happen. For example, this is what I would have to eat in a "good day" in order to get everything they wanted me to eat:
For breakfast I'd eat 2 pieces of whole wheat toast with 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter on each, a tall glass of OJ and 1 egg (2 if I could force it down).

For lunch I'd have a spinach salad (did you know ONE serving of green leafy veggies is 3-4 CUPS?!) with a few oz of cheese, the other egg, and a half a tomato.

As a snack I'd have to eat another serving of whole grains and one of fruit or vegetables.

Then for dinner I would have a half a boneless, skinless chicken breast, another serving of green leafy veggies, another serving of whole grains and one more serving of milk.

On top of all that I had to drink a minimum of 8 8oz glasses of water, which I do anyway, but I find that on that diet it takes up valuable stomach space!!

Andthat's not to mention that I'm supposed to eat 5 servings of yellow/orange fruit/vegetables per week as well as 3 baked potatoes per week which has very little protein in it so it was just extra food! It was ridiculous. I was never hungry and always eating. Not fun. Even with the above daily plan, I would only get the minimum amounts required by that crazy diet. So now I am done force feeding myself. I will eat my greens, my calcium, my protein, my fruit/veggies, my water and all that, but I am not going to until I have room in my stomach and if I don't get all my full servings then that's just too bad. I'm not filling up on empty foods, at least, and I decided it is better to listen to my body then to cram myself almost sick and then gain too much weight as well!

Enough complaining about that. :)

As a side note, I've decided to start looking for a bread maker. It would be really nice to be able to make myself some bread that I'm not allergic to, and I really miss homemade bread. I'm not sure Tim will want to eat it as he kind of likes his store bought stuff, but we'll try it out.

Anyway, off I go to rotate laundry. <3

3 Response to "Today"

  1. Becki Says:

    I think I missed out on something....why are they making you eat a high protein diet?? Is the baby's growth % less than what it should be?

  2. Tim and Holly Says:

    In my Bradley course they give you this uber-intense diet that your supposed to follow to make sure baby has absolutely everything it could possible need and not have to take anything from momma. According to them, a normal diet (non-pregnancy diet) should have something like 50-60 grams of protein anyway - everything else I've read said a healthy protein intake when you're not pregnant is more like 45 grams. Like I was complaining about, it is near impossible for me to follow unless I am eating constantly. Baby measured exactly what it should on our last ultrasound, so it looks all good.

  3. Becki Says:

    Ahhh....that uber-intenseness is one of the downsides of the Bradley stuff. Well, listen to your body, it will tell you what you need and when. As long as you are eating a well balanced diet, with a bit more protein, you should be just fine. No need to force feed yourself unless the baby is not growing well. When babies are measuring less than 10% on growth, we have moms increase the protein to 80gms, but they usually opt for protein shakes as its really tough to take in that much protein...unless you eat a whole cow in one sitting!