Tuesday, May 6, 2008 7:08 PM by Tim and Holly
We just got back from my week 26 doctor's appointment where we finally met Dr. Smetana. We really like her! She's very motherly and seems to be willing to work with us according to our wishes as opposed to forcing "her way" on us. Our appointments are going to every 2 weeks now since I'll be entering the third trimester on Sunday, and she set aside extra time for our next appointment to go over her philosophy on birth and ours...we'll probably bring our birth plan at that time and we'll just feel each other out as we try to create a "team". I'm looking forward to it.

I mentioned to her that we're planning on not getting the erythromycin in the baby's eyes, and she said that she believes it is mandatory at the hospital, along with the vitamin K shot - leaving only the hep B vaccine as an option. So it sounds like we're going to have to do a bunch of research, possibly even dig up WA state law to bring into the hospital to make those arrangements. As I understand it, it is mandatory to get the erythromycin and vitamin K shot unless you sign a waiver and accept liability. So anyway, it is one battle we will have to fight, but at the same time I am very relieved that it is going to be against the hospital and not my doctor. I don't really care if I tick off the mucky-mucks at the hospital, but I do care if my doctor is mad at me. :)

Well, that actually got me excited about researching the law so I'll be signing off for now. TTYL! <3

1 Response to " "

  1. Lindy Says:

    I am so interested to find out what you learn and work out with the hospital. So far I've never heard of an actual hospital refusing care over something like that, just individual doctors doing so... I hope you find that they can't refuse you!! Keep us posted.