Halfway through day one

I have a free moment while Cian is napping to sit down and type out how our first day on Paleo is going.  So far so good!  We have noticed that our plates are very pretty - full of color and different textures...it is pleasant just to look at them. :)  This morning I had a hard boiled egg and some cherries (I am not much of a breakfast eater), and Cian had a kiwi, a couple strawberries and some walnuts.  He loved it!

Pretty, isn't it?

It felt good to give him that instead of his usual fare of toast and jam or cereal.  I know he got a lot more nutrients this way and he is always pleased when he gets to eat more fruit. :)

Later in the morning I gave him a Z-Bar (a kid's version of a cliff bar) because he was driving me crazy and was in a very bad mood after having a very rough night...Z-bars aren't exactly Paleo, but we have decided to be less strict with Cian's diet, allowing him to have a more Westernized diet than Tim and I as we are transitioning.

For lunch he had a couple more strawberries, some apple slices smeared with almond butter, some blueberries, carrots and he stole a few more walnuts from us.  His little tummy was full and he was full of energy and very happy with it all.  For lunch Tim and I had broiled turkey breast cutlets in a lettuce wraps with our choice of seasonings and trimmings.  I also had some walnuts, strawberries, blueberries and carrots and boy, I am full.  So far neither Tim nor I have felt hungry or deprived.  I am waiting for those bread cravings to start up soon though...and the peanut butter...ah, the peanut butter!  I shall miss it.  Luckily we have our three open meals this week. ;)

Tonight I am planning on making Baked Chicken Breasts Tarragon for dinner.  I am going to put it all together and then have Tim throw it in the oven while I'm gone at Zumba so it will be ready when I get back.  Here is the recipe:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/4 c flaxseed oil
1/4 c dry mustard
1 tsp tarragon
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 T parsley flakes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Wash chicken breasts thoroughly and place in 9x13 inch glass baking dish greased with flaxseed oil.  Combine remaining ingredients and brush over chicken, covering completely.  Cover with foil and bake for 50 minutes or until chicken is tender.  Serves 3 or 4.

I'm mulling over sides but I think we'll go with steamed asparagus with olive oil drizzled over the top.

In about 45 minutes Tim and I have an appointment to get our body stats in the "Bod Pod" here on base.  It is an awesome, high-tech machine that can tell you all about your bodies make up - body fat percentage, bone density, hydration, etc. etc.  We wanted to get a reading at the beginning of our change...our "before" info. :)  I am looking forward to (and dreading a little bit) seeing what it says.  

Speaking of which, I better go get ready! 
  


2 Response to "Halfway through day one"

  1. Deanne Says:

    I love the color on the plate and I KNOW it must feel good to be feeding Cian such good, nutrient rich, unprocessed food! Thanks for blogging and including pics. I can't wait for the next addition!

  2. DARALYN Says:

    Are you concerned about him getting diarrhea or gas with all the fruit? You?