Monday Morning Catch Up

A little while back I lamented not getting pictures of how pretty and colorful the Paleo Meatloaf was...so I took pictures this time when I made it! :) 



This meatloaf is good enough to eat without any ketchup!

The other night we also had a Paleo version of fried chicken and it was GOOD.  It is called Pecan Crusted Chicken and I found it online at http://www.everydaypaleo.com/.  Here's the recipe:

Pecan Crusted Chicken
4 chicken breasts
1/2 cup organic spicy brown mustard
2 tbsp raw organic honey
1 cup pecans
sea salt (I didn't use more than a tiny sprinkle)

Pre-heat oven to 350F.  In a medium sized mixing bowl blend together the mustard and honey.  Toss the pecans in a food processor and pulse until the nuts are finely chopped.  Put the chopped pecans on a large plate.  Remove any excess moisture from chicken breasts using a paper towel.  Dip chicken breast first into the mustard/honey mixture then into the chopped pecans to coat.  Place chicken into a large greased glass baking dish.  Sprinkle with a little salt.  Bake at 350F for 45 minutes or until the juices run clear.


Fresh out of the oven.

Yummy!!

It has been fun trying new recipes.  Most have turned out really well!

We also have great news.  Tim has hit the 10lb lost mark!  He has not worked out a single time since he has gotten back from the U.A.E, and yet, since we started the diet 2.5 weeks ago, he has lost 10lbs. :)  I have lost about 5 and seem to be hovering there.  They said that will happen when you hit, or get very near, your optimum weight.  Your body automatically stays there when eating the right foods.

It has been so long since I blogged that there is so much to talk about.  One of the big events in my health is that I started CrossFit.  I went to the Fundamentals class on Tuesday and it was quite the experience!  The class was about 1.5 hours long and the first hour was spent learning the proper form for squats, lifts, etc.  There were 5 people, including me, and we learned and practiced as a team so that we had to keep doing squats, practice lifts, etc. until the instructor could watch and critique each of us.  By the end of the hour my legs felt like jello from so many squats, but then the instructor said, "Okay, so lets do a workout!"  My heart dropped. 8| 

She wrote down a simple work out on the board.  3 rounds consisting of a 400m run, 25 full pushups (chest hitting ground to full extension), 25 full squats (below 90 degrees), and 25 full sit ups (laying to sitting up completely without anyone or any bar holding the feet).  All this was to be done outside in the parking lot because the inside was being used for another class.  It was about 85-90F.  I knew I was in trouble when we started our first 400 and my legs already felt wobbly!

I did my best and I made it through the entire work out...I also didn't get last place!  I beat one of the guys (he looked like he had never worked out in his life, but darn it, I beat him! lol) and I got a time of 17:24.  Afterward, I didn't get a chance to cool down properly so as I was writing out the check for the class, I started to get dizzy and nauseous.  I had to go sit down with my head between my knees for 5 minutes or so before I could drive home.  I had forgotten, and not really missed, that feeling!  I also noticed when I sat in the car that my butt hurt.  I had worn raw spots on it, and my knees, from doing so many situps and pushups on the concrete!

I was thinking, 'Ugh!  Holly, you are never doing that again!' but by the time I got halfway home I was psyched.  I can't wait to go back. :D  I am planning on going Tuesdays and Thursdays and another day if I can work it in.  If you want a workout that doesn't take over your life and gives results (I couldn't imagine this NOT giving great results...it would be impossible if you truly work while you are there), then try CrossFit!

1 Response to "Monday Morning Catch Up"

  1. DARALYN Says:

    Until my Paleo book arrives I've been copying your recipes. Thanks for the everydaypaleo.com link!

    10lbs w/o excersize?!?

    I can see Tim's shape changing back. It's so great. I want that, too. I'm under here somewhere!