A new chapter

Tim and I have decided to take a couple huge steps forward in our health.  We have decided to start eating the Paleo way and we are going to join a Crossfit gym here in Spokane.  I am going to blog about our experiences...what worked, what didn't, our challenges and our triumphs.  I can't wait to see where our journey takes us!

If you want to know more about the Paleo diet, check out this site: http://paleolithicdiet.wordpress.com/.  Also, if you'd like to check out Cross Fit, you can go here: http://www.crossfitspokane.com/

Today I sat down and created our first Paleo menu, shopping list and typed up some ideas for quick breakfasts and lunches that I can hang on the fridge to help Tim and I know what to grab as we are learning a new way of eating.  I also called Crossfit Spokane and made an appointment to come in and do our trial WOD (Work Out of the Day) on Thursday at 5:30pm.  I am looking forward to giving it a try! 

After all the planning, list making and menu planning, I was finally able to go to the store and  buy our food for the next week or two...it will take awhile to know exactly how much to get and how long it lasts.  I picked up some basics that will last us for a long time, like olive oil, lemon and lime juice, etc.  In total it all cost about $99.  I'll be interested to see how that amount changes as we settle into a routine.  You should have seen the looks I got going through the checkout!  I'd say 85% of the food I bought was fresh produce and the rest was boneless, skinless chicken breasts, turkey breasts, shrimp, etc.  I don't think many people see that very often now-a-days!

Then came the hard part...cleaning out our cabinets and fridge.  Wow...I didn't think it would be so hard!  I think my Dutch heritage reared its head.  I almost became emotional over it...to see all the work, thought and effort I put into filling those cabinets, and then to have to dispose of it...it was hard.  I provided what I believed was healthy food for my family - filled my kitchen with it - and then I am going to give it away (that's the plan anyway if anyone wants it) because it isn't as healthy as I thought it was.  It is a new start.  My fridge is full of fresh fruits and veggies; no cheese, butter, or dairy of any kind, no salted or fatty meats, very few condiments, and no hidden, leftover treats.  My freezer is now full of lean beef, turkey, chicken, seafood and frozen fruits and veggies.  My cabinets are nearly empty!  What to put in them if not flours, sauces, marinades, rice, beans, cereals, bread, etc. etc.?  They now have a few healthy sauces, oils, canned veggies, canned tuna, dried fruits, and nuts.  See the pictures below to check out our new, improved food storage spaces!

The shelf that is circled, along with the milk and Gogurt are waiting for a new home.  Whatever Amber doesn't want we'll toss or, if it is still unopened, take to the food bank.

   I won't have to worry about cabinet space anymore! lol

Well, it is getting late, so I am going to end this for now.  Starting tomorrow morning we are living Paleo. :)  Good night!

2 Response to "A new chapter"

  1. Kristi Says:

    Wow Holly!

    Maybe I should do this diet just for the cupboard space ;)

    I'm really interested in following your experiences. Thanks for blogging about it!

  2. DARALYN Says:

    You and Tim are very serious about this...! And that is good. Your blog was very easy and enjoyable to read. I loved your inclusion of pics. Keep it up - I'm reading and learning!